"We have made it an Arabic Qur'an that you may understand": The permissibility of translating scripture in Islam in contrast with Judaism and Christianity
- Date: 11/23/2017 at 2:15 PM – 4:00 PM
- Location: Engelska parken Hus 22: 0031
- Lecturer: Professor Meir Bar-Ascher, Hebrew University, Jerusalem
- Organizer: Forum för judiska studier, Teologiska fakulteten
- Contact person: Lars M Andersson
Professor Meir Bar-Asher was born in the village of al-Rashidiyya in southeast Morocco and brought up and educated in Jerusalem. He has done his academic studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. His Ph.D. dissertation on early Imami-Shi`i exegesis was submitted in 1991. During his Ph.D. studies he spent one year in the university Sorbonne in Paris. He teaches at the department of Arabic Language and Literature at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem where he has been the director of the Institute of Asian and African Studies. Professor Bar-Asher is an expert on Quranic Studies and Shi`i Islam. He is the author of several books and numerous articles in the field of Imami Shi`ism and Quran.