Literature seminar: English as language of instruction - possibilities and obstacles
- Date: –13:00
- Location: Ångströmlaboratoriet, Lägerhyddsvägen 1 Beurlingrummet
- Organiser: TUR - teknisk-naturvtenskapliga fakultetens universitetspedagogiska råd
- Contact person: Malin Östman
Because of internationalization, we teach more and more in English. Therefor it is crucial to find out how learning is affected the use of a second language. In this seminar, we will discuss the article Language and the experience of learning university physics in Sweden by John Airey and Cedric Linder. We find it to be of interest for a broad range of disciplines.
To prepare for discussion you might like to consider the following questions as you read the article.
* How does the results compare with your experiences (as teach and/or student)?
* What conclusions do you find especially interesting in relation to your teaching?
* Are the recommendations given feasible in your practice?
* How can we discuss language-related issues with students to make them aware of learning strategies and us aware of their particular difficulties?
* Are there implications for strategic faculty decisions on language in relation to study programmes, courses, disciplines or levels?
Link to the paper: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0143-0807/27/3/009/meta
For lunch sandwich (taxed) register no later than March 20 to email@example.com (please note any food requirements).
Welcome! Maja Elmgren and Malin Östman, TUR