Translingualism in Russian Romanticism: The Case of V.A. Zhukovskii
- Datum: 2018-02-13 kl 15:15 – 17:00
- Plats: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES) Gamla Torget 6, 4 vån, rum 4219B
- Föreläsare: Yulia A. Tikhomirova is Associate Professor at the Department of Romance and Germanic Philology at Tomsk State University. Her research interests include the theory and history of literary translation, Russian-British and Russian-Italian intercultural relations, poetic and vocal translation, and Russian Romanticism. She is the author of over 20 scholarly publications. She has received a Fulbright grant as Visiting Scholar at Indiana University, Bloomington (2012), the V. Potanin Award for young Russian scholars (2011), and four Russian governmental grants (2010-2017).
- Arrangör: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES)
- Kontaktperson: Jevgenija Gehsbarga
- Telefon: 018 471 1630
with Yulia A. Tikhomirova (Tomsk State University)
The paper will focus on the translingual literary production of the Russian poet and translator Vasilii Zhukovskii and specifically on his German oeuvre, composed in the later period of his literary career. His original and self-translated works in German constituted a special vector in his individual creative evolution. The double perspective - the wish to present Russian culture to a German audience and, at the same time, the aspiration to incorporate his creativity into a new cultural context and be accepted as by German readership - affected his creative development as a poet, translator, and mentor. In addition, Zhukovskii’s transcultural activities provided a forum for his reconsideration of the historical paths of Russia and Europe, and influenced on many aspects of Russian literature.