GlobeLife webinar - Debunking Disaster Myths
- Date: –16:00
- Location: Zoom Link provided in the attached pdf
- Lecturer: GlobeLife webinar in collaboration with Karolinska Institute, Uppsala University, Mistra GeoLife, Stockholm University, and CNDS
- Organiser: CNDS Director Giuliano di Baldassare, Uppsala University
- Contact person: Giuliano di Baldassare
Disasters seriously disrupt the functioning of societies and cause needs that overwhelm existing capacities. However, their perceived impacts and risks as well as the need of the affected population are often based on pre-conceived opinions and myths rather than facts. In this interdisciplinary webinar, a panel of disaster researchers from four scientific disciplines outlines some common myths and
• Promote evidence-based understanding of disasters and their impacts
• Catalyse academic interdisciplinarity
• Foster new collaboration within the field of disaster science
Moderator: Magareta Wahlstöm - Swedish Red Cross, former Head of the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
Speakers and panelists:
-Susann Baez Ullberg - Dept. of Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology, Uppsala Univ.
-Giuliano Di Baldassarre - Centre of Natural Hazards and Disaster Science (CNDS) , Dept. of Earth Sciences, Uppsala Univ
-Nina von Uexkull - Dept. of Economic History and International Relations, Stockholm Univ.
-Johan von Schreeb - Centre for Research on Health Care in Disasters, Dept. of Global Public Health, Karolinska Institutet